Operating Overview of GMDSS
|The Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) is the International radio safety system for ships mandated by the International Maritime Organization (IMO). The GMDSS system provides automated distress alerting and distress communication service with location information. Ships engaged in international shipping (SOLAS vessels) are obliged to carry GMDSS communication equipment. Also, most governments have specified use of selected GMDSS systems for their regulated domestic vessels and non-regulated vessels are permitted to use any GMDSS system.
Required GMDSS Communication Radio Equipment
Ships operating in Sea Area A1 or A2 must select at least one, and ships operating in Sea Area A3 and A4 must select at least two of the following methods of maintenance. Icom GMDSS radios offer an ideal duplication solution for replacement equipment.
- At sea maintenance
- Shore based maintenance
- Duplication of the following equipment
- Sea Area A1 – a complete VHF radio station
- Sea Area A2 – a complete VHF and MF radio station
- Sea Area A3 – a complete VHF and, either MF/HF radio or INMARSAT station
- Sea Area A4 – a complete VHF and MF/HF radio station
(* In some countries, required equipment may be different. Please ask your dealer for details.)